Sunday, July 26, 2009

National Genealogical Society Member Only Benefits

Tonight I went to the National Genealogical Society's website to download another batch of NGSQ (their quarterly periodical) to read. I became a member of NGS in January and am interested in reading these past issues to learn new methods for my own research.

I already knew that a benefit of membership in NGS included the ability to access the NGSQ issues from 2002 to present. I discovered tonight that the NGS Magazine has some issues available online as well. These issues include 2005 to present.

I also discovered that the 2010 NGS Conference in Salt Lake City has a blog. The blog currently has no entries but I am happy to see that NGS is going to use some web 2.0 tools to promote their conference. I hope that they use the blog in a similar fashion to the ones currently used for the Federation of Genealogical Societies 2009 Conference in Little Rock, Arkansas, the Southern California Jamboree, and the Family History Expos blog. I like how these blogs use a mixture of courses offered, experts teaching, vendors on site, restaurants and attractions in the area, and more. It makes me want to attend them all, but since I can't, it lets me get a taste of what I will be missing.

NGS also recently added an online course for members called "Family History Skills." This seems like a great course to get people started in learning genealogical research techniques.

I am glad that NGS is adding more content available for members and also starting to get into the Web 2.0 revolution that is getting more genealogists together, excited, and involved. I hope that the society continues to move in this direction.

What are your thoughts? What else should NGS add to their member only offerings? What should they do to increase their involvement online? Leave a comment or send me an email genwishlist [at] gmail [dot] com.

1 comment:

  1. Tina,
    Since you ask - I noticed that NGS sponsors an award for generalogical society newsletters. Since our society has gone to an electronic newsletter (full disclosure: I am the editor), I wrote to NGS to ask if electronic was eligible. Alas, answer came back no.

    ReplyDelete