Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Using Call Numbers to Get Source Information

Here's a quick tip I use when at the library:

When I need to source a book, instead of writing down all the information (title, author, publisher, date, etc), I just write down the call number. This works very well for me when I go to the Allen County Public Library. When I come home, I just enter the call number into the online catalog and all the information I need about the book pops right up. I don't need to go searching through the book trying to find all the pieces or worry about forgetting something.

If you are going to do this, there are a few things to keep in mind:
  • Make sure the library has an online catalog.
  • Check the online catalog and make sure it has all the information you need to make a complete source.
  • Make sure you write down the call number when you are at the library. I also write down the title of the book to cross check that I wrote down the correct number when I get home.
  • Make sure that the material you are sourcing is in the catalog. If the microfilm isn't sourced in the catalog, then you can't just use a call number to retrieve the information.
Hope this helps you improve your source citations and makes it easier too.

No comments:

Post a Comment