Thursday, July 2, 2009

Watching Roots Television's Conference Coverage

A new set of videos was released by The Og on Roots Television today. I am always excited when I find a post about new videos on Rootstelevision in my Google Reader (usually on Tuesdays).

For anyone who hasn't heard of Roots Television before, it's like YouTube for genealogy videos. It offers videos from interviews with leading genealogists and genealogical companies to DNA programs to cemetery research to lectures to so much more. You can select the Program Guide to find out what is new and featured. You can also use the drop down menu in the top right corner to select categories of videos to watch. Or just use the search box.

A few months ago I decided to watch a bunch of videos in the conference section (using the drop down menu). I found a variety of interviews conducted at various conferences and also quite a few lectures that were recorded. Check the tabs above the video description to find more conferences (this works with finding more topics in any area).

The interviews make me feel like I'm behind the scenes at the conferences. I get to hear from well know genealogists about what they are working on and some of the content of their lectures. Dick Eastman has been conducting many of these interviews recently and I always look forward to the new batch after he returns from a conference.

In the new batch of videos today, Dick interviewed Dr. Tukufu Zuberi from PBS's The History Detectives. Tukufu was the speaker at the banquet held at the Southern California Genealogical Society Jamboree last weekend. It was nice to hear some of the highlights and learn more about this program even though I couldn't make the Jamboree. [Even though I knew about his program I had never watched it, but I intend to start after listening to this interview.]

Also under the conference tab, I was able to find several lectures given at past genealogical conferences. I felt that these videos gave me a taste of what to expect when I go to a conference and also teach me something that I had missed before.

A few of the lectures I viewed were:
Although these lectures are from a few years ago, they still had lots of relevant information. (And if you can't get to any conferences, you'll take whatever you can get.) You can find lots more lectures by searching for "lecture" or by browsing through the conference section of the site.

I wish that more genealogy lectures would be available on Roots Television. Although the interviews are wonderful, I like getting more in depth on topics through the lectures. It's another reason for me to want to go genealogy conferences. It inspires me to learn more. It also makes me feel like I am not missing out on everything from the conferences. I understand that there are copyright issues and that people don't want their lectures stolen, but there has to be an agreement that can be reached with more lecturers to share their information. I would much rather see the lectures with the visual aides. I'd even be willing to pay a reasonable price for it, since there would be high costs involved with recording many lectures. NGS charges $12 for each lecture you want and it's only an audio CD. How can we get more lectures available?

What do you like best about Roots Television? Why do you keep watching or why are you going to start? What videos do you recommend? Leave a comment or send me an email at genwishlist [at] gmail [dot] com.

No comments:

Post a Comment