Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wordless Wednesday: WWII Photo Series Intro

Today I am going to start a series of WWII photos for Wordless Wednesdays. My goal with this series is to post one picture a week from my grandfather's WWII photo collection. I will be posting photos of other individuals who served with my grandfather, Roy SUCKLING, during his time on Shemya island in the Aleutian Islands in Alaska.

My grandfather was on Shemya island for 28 months and served for 3 and a half years in the Army signal corp. He had a great collection of photos from those years (with the help of a great dark room on the island). Many of his pictures are of other men and include their name and hometown on the back side. I hope that the men in the photos or their families will be able to find these photos after I put them online.

So now for the first photo in the series:



Johnston, Tommas. Photograph. ca. 1940s. Digital image. Privately held by Tina Lyons, Fort Wayne, Indiana. 2009.

Back reads: Tommas Johnston, 6604 Van Buren Ave, Kammond, Ind.

A Google search does not find Kammond, Indiana. This may be Hammond or Raymond, Indiana. The name could also be Thomas Johnston.

If you know Tommas Johnston, please send me an email to genwishlist@gmail.com. I will be happy to send you a higher resolution copy of the photo. I would also love to hear your stories to add to the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment