Thursday, December 10, 2009

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Christmas Gifts

Day 10 of my Christmas memories for the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories made possible by Geneabloggers.

December 10 - Christmas Gifts
What were your favorite gifts, both to receive and to give? Are there specific gift-giving traditions among your family or ancestors?

I have enjoyed the giving more than the receiving for many years now. I am too picky to make the getting any fun. I usually dislike most things that other people think that I would want. For many years I really liked cows. Everyone in the family found out about this and thought that was all I would ever want and that I would want every single cow thing ever made. Well I didn't. I just liked them. I wanted a few things to keep around, but not a ton. It was really annoying. One Christmas I opened my present from my grandma and she had gotten me a set of cow mugs. I looked at her and said "Grandma, I don't like cows anymore. I like penguins." After she got up off the floor, I told her that I was just teasing her. But ever since them I did like penguins. But then every just got me every penguin thing. So I guess I need to pick a new animal (maybe a turtle).

On the other hand, I have always enjoyed finding a present that someone else would really enjoy, especially when it seems on the surface that they wouldn't. For example, one year I got my brother a shirt. Normally, he would never want a shirt for a gift. But I got him a shirt from our favorite artist. He loved it!

A tradition in on my mom's side of the family was to pull names out of a hat and that was who you had to buy gifts for instead of everyone buying presents for everyone. It made it a lot easier, but there were definitely people who you would rather buy for than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment