Sunday, December 13, 2009

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Holiday Travel

Day 13 of my Christmas memories for the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories made possible by Geneabloggers.
When I was young, my family would regularly travel to from Cincinnati to Williamsport, Pennsylvania to visit my dad's family. We would all pile into the van and my dad would cram more than you could imagine in the back (that's where I get my awesome spatial skills). All our presents from Santa would make the trip out to Pennsylvania and then back again. I still don't know how we got everything in there and back. My grandparents were always shocked by what would come out of the van.

I remember one year that we couldn't leave early because my brother had to go to his friends' party. And we had to leave the next day because that was Christmas Eve. And of course that day was filled with snow and ice. The roads were awful and we saw many accidents along the way. We made it the 500 miles safe and sound and who knows how much longer it took to get there. I think that was the last time my dad ever traveled in bad weather. Now if it is snowing anywhere in the lower 48, he won't venture any distance. It's annoying but it makes a little sense remember that trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment