Thursday, December 17, 2009

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Home Videos

Day 17 of my Christmas memories for the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories made possible by Geneabloggers.
My dad's family lived in central Pennsylvania while we lived in the Cincinnati area. Sometimes we would visit them for Christmas and some years we would stay in Ohio and spend Christmas with my mom's side of the family.

My grandfather was always interested in photography and had a video camera. My dad would borrow that one before he got his own. So there are lots of videos of my Christmas past.

But there is only one word to describe these videos: unwatchable.

That's not to say that it isn't fun to see what we all looked like and what we got for Christmas. It's what my dad would film. He didn't film us opening our presents or playing with them later. He filmed up telling the camera everything we had received for Christmas and who gave it to us and usually a comment about what a great gift it was.

My dad would then send the video to his parents for them to view. I can't imagine them getting through the entire tape. They were so boring. And I know this because two years ago I converted them all to DVD and it was painful to watch. I edited them all down so that 2 hours of each Christmas became more like 15 minutes. But now they only have to good parts, like the presents I remember and the one year that we were actually shown playing with our toys.

My grandfather also filmed my mom's Christmas pasts with an 8mm camera. I took them from my grandma's this past weekend in hopes of getting them copied onto DVD. Anyone have any experience doing this?

No comments:

Post a Comment