Saturday, December 5, 2009

Roots Magic Shareable CD - Creating a new GEDCOM

Yesterday I discussed the process of making a shareable CD of my database with Roots Magic 4 (RM4). Today I'm going to discuss how I exported a GEDCOM from RM4 to make my database and media fit on one CD.

In order to get my database to fit on a CD (since I was trying to use them up), I had to export a GEDCOM of my database to include only my paternal grandfather's side of the family. It was a little tricky to get just the part of the database that I wanted.
  1. Select File from the menu, then select Export.
  2. Check which pieces of your database you want to include (notes, sources, addresses, etc.) At this point you can also privatize living people.
  3. At the top, you will see a drop down box. It will say Everyone by default. Choose select from list to choose just those individuals that you want.
  4. A new box with a list of everyone in your database will appear. You can choose them from memory or select one person and choose people linked to them. I chose my grandfather, then clicked the "Mark people" button. Choose "Ancestors of highlighted person." Here you can choose direct ancestors, ancestors and their children or collateral lines. I chose "ancestors and their children" because that includes my ancestors, their siblings and their sibling's spouses. (Which is about all that's in my database. You could also choose collateral lines if you want all of the cousins.) Then I clicked the "Mark People" button again with my grandfather selected and chose "Descendants of highlighted person" then chose "Descendants and Spouses".
  5. Choose a name and place to save the new GEDCOM.
Now I have a GEDCOM of my grandfather's side of the family (ancestors and descendants). If you choose collateral lines of ancestors, you can get all of the cousins. But if you choose collateral lines of descendants, you end up with the ancestors of everyone else. For example, all of my mom's side of the family will end up in the database, when I don't want a tree of that side.

It sounds more confusing than it is. Play around with it for a little while and you will start to see who gets connected with each option.

Tomorrow I will post about my own impressions with the shareable CD that I created and later will post about my dad's impressions when I give it to him.

Full Disclosure: I am not an employee, contractor or affiliate of RootsMagic. Just a happy user.

No comments:

Post a Comment