Wednesday, January 6, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Week One - ACPL

Amy Coffin has done it again. 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy is her series of weekly blogging themes for 2010. I can't wait to see what the year will bring.

Week 1: Go to your local public library branch. Make a note of the genealogy books in the collection that may help you gain research knowledge. Don’t forget to check the shelves in both the non-fiction section and the reference section. If you do not already have a library card, take the time to get one. If you have a genealogy blog, write about what you find in your library’s genealogy collection.

So I kind of feel like I am cheating this week. I mean I live in Fort Wayne and the only library I ever go to here is the main library branch of the Allen County Public Library and it just happens to hold the second largest genealogy collection in the United States. So making note of every book in the collection that I could use for my research would take WAY too long. Instead, I have decided to post some items in the collection that I really need to check out.
  • 1890 Genealogical Census Reconstruction, Ohio Edition by Sheirda K. Eddlemon (There are also editions for Tennessee, Missouri and Mississippi.)
  • Finding Indiana Ancestors: A Research Guide by M Theresa Baer
  • Research in Indiana by John D. Beatty
  • Ohio Genealogical Guide by Carol Willsey Bell
  • Guide to Genealogical Resources in Cincinnati & Hamilton County, Ohio compiled by Connie Stunkel Terheiden & Kenny R. Burck
  • Genealogical Dates: A User-Friendly Guide by Kenneth L. Smith
Another benefit of the Genealogical Center are the resource guides that they compile. The guides are available as you walk in and include state guides, ethnic group guides, military guides, immigration guides and more. These guides are a great way to point you in the right direction as you start your research at the library as they include both general reference material on the topic and specific compiled books on a topic.

(And of course I already have an ACPL library card because I need it to get out of paying the parking fees!)

1 comment:

  1. It's not cheating. You can't help it if you live near one of the best genealogy libraries in the country.

    I live near the Clayton Genealogy Library, so if you ever need anything from there, let me know.

    ReplyDelete