Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ancestry Unenhanced Images

I love that Ancestry has been adding enhanced images for the US censuses. As I am resourcing my family tree and organizing my digital files, I have been redownloading the images that I need.

But I'm having a problem. The 1860 census is now washed out in the counties that I am viewing. These counties include Gallia county, Ohio, Jackson county, Ohio and Hancock county, Illinois.

Here's an example:

1860 Census - The town of Jackson, Jackson county, Ohio

Old image (downloaded spring 2009)

New image (downloaded Jan 17 2010)

If you click the images, you can see a larger image.

What a difference a few months makes! I am glad that I had previously downloaded these images, but how can Ancestry say that they are "enhanced images."

Is anyone else having this same problem? I have only seen the degraded images for the 1860 census. Leave a comment or send me an email to genwishlist@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment