Friday, February 19, 2010

I Found My Valentine (BLITZ)

Valentine BLITZ is my all-time favorite ancestor. I love saying his name. I love that he wasn't a farmer, instead he was a stone mason. Valentine was born 1828 in Hesse-Darmstadt. He immigrated to the United States and married Margaretta LUTZ and lived in Williamsport, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania. He died in 1898.

I didn't have Valentine's date of death until this week. I had hoped that his gravestone would have been in the set of photos that my aunt sent me last summer, but he was missing. Where was my Valentine?

This week I received a copy of Lycoming County Cemeteries: St Boniface published by the Lycoming County Genealogical Society. (A birthday present from my husband.)

Of course the first thing I did when I got the book was look for Valentine BLITZ. And there he was. Entry number 268: Valentine Blitz (1828-1898).

Now I know that Valentine is buried in St Boniface Cemetery with many of my other ancestors. I also now know that he is in section C of the cemetery. I hope to point my aunt that way this spring and finally get a photo of his gravestone.

Valentine wasn't the only ancestor I found in the book. He's just the one that made me do a genealogy happy dance. I made a list of the gravestones that I was missing and hope that equipped with the section and a map of the cemetery I will have a complete set of photos of my ancestors' graves by this summer.

1 comment: