Friday, February 12, 2010

Winter 2010 GeneaBloggers Games - My Opening Ceremony Entrance

Tonight are the opening ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Olympics, but it is also the opening ceremonies of an even (in my opinion) better event the "Winter 2010 GeneaBloggers Games"

I am going to strive for gold in the "Winter 2010 GeneaBloggers Games". I am really excited about these games, because I have been practicing for almost 2 years now and have high hopes for myself and all the other geneabloggers.

First of all, here is the new "Gen Wish List" Flag for the games.
Since my ancestry is highly German, I started with the German flag in the back. I added the US flag for my own life and where my ancestors immigrated over many centuries. I added a smaller flag of the United Kingdom to signify my English and Northern Irish roots. Although there are more countries that I could have added to my flag, these are the most important to my heritage.

So now that I have walked into the stadium waving my flag, you are wondering what events I will be participating. I will be seeking golds in all of the Games:
1. Go Back and Cite Your Sources
2. Back Up Your Data
3. Organize Your Research
4. Expand Your Knowledge
5. Write, Write, Write!
6. Reach Out and Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness

Here is how I will know that I did my best:
  • I need to finish resourcing my genealogy database. I should be able to finish by the end of the month. I currently have 67 digital files to organize and cite. Some of those census images have more than one family, so I'll have more citations to write along with citations for databases without images.
  • I need to remember to back up my files when my computer schedules its backup to my removable hard drive since I usually don't hook it up. Mozy backs up my data online at least once a day.
  • I should also work on tagging and sorting through all the digital photos I obtained from my grandfather's collections.
  • I enjoy learning new things, so expanding my knowledge should be fun. Plus I made a new year's resolution to write up some ancestral biographies, so the Games should give me some motivation to do my first one.
  • Writing on the blog has been coming easier since I committed to it, as well as commenting on other blogs.
In my head, I am prepared for these Winter Games. I just hope that my mind and body (and work schedule) cooperate to help me do my best! I look forward to seeing how well all the other geneabloggers do with in the Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment