Friday, March 5, 2010

The Life of Alice HILLIS - Family Movements

This is part of my series The Life of Alice Susan HILLIS, my great grandmother.

My favorite census record that I have found so far is the 1920 US census of Dewey, Alice and Francis BASCOM in Aurora, Dearborn county, Indiana.
1920 U.S. census, Dearborn county, Indiana, Population schedule, Aurora, enumeration district 35, sheet 3B, dwelling 72, family 82, Household of Duey Bascom; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 01 Feb 2010), citing National Archives microfilm publication T625.

I love how it is "Duey", like Huey, Duey and Luey. I love how Alice is spelled out phonetically "Allis". I love how the enumerated didn't ask if Francis was a girl or a boy and assumed it was "Frances" and that meant the baby was a girl. Dewey was working as a truck driver.

Then the family moved to Rising Sun, Ohio county, Indiana where their son Robert was born. He died 7 years later.

A few years later, the family moved to Kentucky where my grandmother was born.

Another daughter was born a few years later in Ohio.

In the 1930 census, the family was living in Hamilton, Butler county, Ohio. Dewey was working as a truck driver for an express company.
1930 U.S. census, Butler county, Ohio, Population schedule, Hamilton, enumeration district 9-17, sheet 14B, dwelling 274, family 336, Household of Dewey F Bascom; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 01 Feb 2010), citing National Archives microfilm publication T626.

In 1935 the family left the Cincinnati area and moved to Plant City, Hillsbourgh county, Florida. I was shocked when my grandma told me this but then I found the Florida state census. Dewey was still a truck driver.
1935 Florida state census, Hillsborough County, Population schedule, Precinct 37, Plant City, 6, , Household of Dewey Bascom; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 17 May 2009); citing State Library and Archives of Florida microfilm publication S 5.

By 1937, the family had moved to the Cincinnati suburb of Norwood, Hamilton county, Ohio and Dewey continued working as a truck driver.

Next time we look at Alice and Dewey's grocery business.

No comments:

Post a Comment