Thursday, April 29, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Week 17 - Label Family Photos

It's week 17 of Amy Coffin's 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy. This week's challenge is:

Get out your family photos and label them. You’ve seen them a million tines because they’re YOUR photos, but what happens when they’re passed down to others? Will those people know the names of everyone in the pictures? Take some time and label your photos with pertinent information. If you’re working with old photos, take consideration with their age and condition. Devise an archival-friendly labeling system. For digital photos, you can use computer programs to tag the images with names or other identifying information. If that’s too confusing, you can at least save and/or re-name digital photos with details of your choosing. Don’t let another generation slip by without documenting your photos. Your ancestors will thank you. If you have a genealogy blog, share with your readers your system for identifying photos, and even share a photo if you like.

So this is something that I have put on my Genealogy To Do Lists for the past couple of months. And I haven't touched my digital photos, despite my goals. So that's again to Amy Coffin for making a challenge that gets me to do what I was suppossed to do long ago. (For 3 weeks in a row!)

I started up Picassa yesterday and started going through some of the photos that I had scanned from my grandma's house. Finally they have names and some caption. It's still a work in progress, but at least I got off to a good start. I found some that I need to ask my mom or grandma who is in the photo and I found lots that made me smile.

4 comments:

  1. I am thinking of trying out Picasa - any advice? Am I correct in that the pictures remain on my hard drive but Picasa works as an organizing tool to get the photos into albums and allows for labeling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These challenges are so great for getting us to do things that, under normal circumstances, we might put off. Bravo for getting the job done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been putting off labeling my pictures. I think I will check Picasa out. Good luck as you continue with your labeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy-
    Picasa is a piece of software from Google that allows you to organize and manipulate your digital photos. You can sync photos on your computer to their web albums, but you don't have to and everything always remains on your hard drive. I love the face recognition that helps me figure out who is in each photo.

    ReplyDelete