Thursday, May 27, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Week 21 - State Archives

Challenge 21 of 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy brought to by Amy Coffin is:

Examine the website of your state or provincial archives. Take some time to push all the buttons and click all the links. What did you find? Bloggers can write about the site’s high points and share the information with their readers.

I examined the Indiana State Archives. I really wish that they had a blog to keep up on their news and digitization progress. But I did find that you can sign up to receive an email when they have news. At least I can stay updated in some way without having to check back all the time. I learned that they will be adding Hoosier civil war records (so maybe I can find more about Robert Bruce Bascom since NARA lost his pension file).

I have never been to the Indiana State Archives (even though I should take a trip to Indianapolis at some point) and was happy to read about some of their collections. They have a genealogy page, but it's nothing special. If you only looked at the genealogy page, you would miss lots of good stuff at the archives.

Indiana is currently working on digitizing some records and putting them online in their digital archives. There is not very much in the digital archive. I only found indexes and not online images in my searches. But there were places where you would be able to click on an image or order it online (but I never saw it working). There is definite potential here, but nothing for my own research yet. I'll look forward to updates to the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment