Thursday, June 3, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Week 22 - Find A Grave

Amy Coffin's challenge for week 22 of 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy is:

Spend some time at Find-a-Grave. Most of you have probably heard of Find-a-Grave and probably used it in your own research as well. The challenge this week is to simply browse this web site. Just click links. Look at the different ways the information is sorted. Study the tributes of others and see if there are ways you can improve your own entries. Don’t do any research of your own, simply study the efforts of others. If you have a genealogy blog, share your impressions of Find-a-Grave and any interesting entries you found at the web site.

I use Find A Grave all the time. Anytime I add someone new to my tree, I search for a photo of their tombstone on Find A Grave. One problem that I have is that I don't check back and research for my ancestors often. I should really consider taking the time to make memorial pages for my ancestors.

I love the community aspect of Find A Grave. I love being able to request photos of gravestones and receiving notification that it is available. I requested a bunch of photos of the tombstones of my COUCHIE/KAVCIC ancestors and the photos were posted the next day. I have taken photos of a local cemetery and added them to Find A Grave as well, but I should try to do it more often.

In searching Find A Grave today and clicking links, I discovered an RSS feed to new memorials. It's probably too many names to try to go through any day, but I love that they have it. There is also a new photos link, but it did not work when I tried it.

Find A Grave is a great site for finding the final resting place of your ancestors. But without all the volunteers who add names and photos, the site would not exist. Thank you to everyone who contributes!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Tina! I love Find-a-Grave - it's one of my first go-to sites, also. I did not know they had added the RSS feed.

    ReplyDelete