Thursday, August 12, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Week 32 - RSS Feeds

The challenge for week 32 of 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy written by Amy Coffin is:

Learn about RSS feeds. You don’t have to understand how RSS feeds work to reap their benefits. However, if you want to know, here are articles from Wikipedia and What is RSS? Basically, without utilizing RSS feeds, you would need to visit web sites and blogs individually to see if they have been updated. If you subscribe to RSS feeds using a feed reader, the latest updates come to you. Two of the bigger names in feed readers are Bloglines and Google Reader. You do not have to sign up for either of these, the task is just to read about them and know they exist. If you are familiar with RSS feeds, then this is an easy challenge. Genealogy bloggers are encouraged to share their experiences. If you use a particular feed reader, discuss it and you organize your feeds.

RSS feeds are the way to go if you follow a lot of blogs, news sites, comics and more. I have been using Google Reader for years now and just love it. It is an easy way to read all the lastest updates on your favorite sites without having to remember what you have already read or go to each individual site. I also love that I can check my Google Reader from my computer or my phone and it all stays up to date on what I still need to read.

I sort my feeds into categories. There's one for genealogy blogs, one for genealogy updates (like when there are new books posted to Internet Archive), one for comics, one for news and more. By organizing all my feeds, I can just look at the most important ones or the ones that won't take a lot of time if I'm in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment