Wednesday, August 11, 2010

One Week to FGS in Knoxville

A week from today, I will be headed to Knoxville, Tennessee for the Federation of Genealogical Society's annual conference. This will be my first national conference and I am looking forward to meeting lots of genealogists, learning new research techniques and hanging with other genealogy bloggers.

I'm making my first national conference a cost effective one. I'm arriving in the afternoon of the first day to avoid an extra night at the hotel. (And because I'm not that interested in their Focus on Societies Day.) I would have liked to attend the Association of Professional Genealogists' Professional Management Conference, but it would have doubled my registration fees and added two extra nights in the hotel. I'm not attending the banquet or luncheons, partially to save money and partially because I am bringing the husband and don't want to leave him all alone for 3 days. (Which also means that a side trip to Gatlinburg to buy him some moonshine might be in order.)

If anyone wants to get together at FGS, let me know. I'd love to meet you. If you're not going, make sure to check out all the posts from bloggers who will be in attendance. Thomas MacEntee has a list of bloggers who will be there on his website. Also make sure to check out the FGS conference blog to learn the latest news about the event. I'm bringing my netbook and will try to post while I'm there (in between all the fun).

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tina, This will also be my 1st national conference. I'm looking forward to meeting other bloggers even more than I am the workshops! I'm also arriving Wed. but hope to get there early enough in the day to work in some research at ETHS library. (It's just a 2 hour drive for me.) My plan is to get to registration around 4 Wed.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're going! You'll have a great time! BTW, don't forget that registration on Wednesday is open until 6:00.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina, I would love to meet up with you. My husband and I will be arriving on Tuesday, but like you, I probably won't be attending anything on the Focus on Societies Day. Instead, I will probably do some touristy things with my husband on that day.

    ReplyDelete