Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Summer Genealogy Goals Reviewed

Summer officially ended for me on Monday when I got called into work. So it's time to review what my summer goals were and see how I did.

So here are some of my goals:
  • Order FHL films for wills and probate records of my Indiana ancestors. I plan to order the first one this week. I got through all the will books on microfilm. Of course one was on the page that they forgot to scan, so I guess a court house adventure is in my future. I'll start working on the probate records soon.
  • Order death certificates for my ancestors. I read somewhere (unfortunately I don't remember where) that vital records are in lots of danger from laws that keep them hidden. So I am going to attempt to get as many death records as I can this summer just in case laws change. I got through all the Indiana death certificates that I needed for my direct line. Still waiting on the one I ordered from Pennsylvania. I'm probably going to have to complain about it.
  • Read my genealogy books. I read some, but not much.
  • Work on National Institute of Genealogical Studies course. I will be working on the Analysis and Skills Mentoring Program-Part 2. I started it, but haven't really dived in yet. It is my last course in the intermediate course set. I did the first part of it, now for the second part.
  • Write at least 3 ancestor profiles. This is part of my 2010 resolutions. Did not even attempt these. But I do have a few coming up soon (I hope).
  • Visit my ancestor's graves in the Cincinnati area. Done!
  • Borrow more photos from my grandma's house to scan. I never did get anything new from my grandma. But I did get through making copies of the 8mm film that I borrowed from her house a while ago. Plus I was able to get more home movies, photos and more from the other side of the family when I visited them.
  • And the big finale for the summer will be attending the 2010 FGS conference in Knoxville, Tennessee. BEST TIME EVER!
So I didn't get everything done. But as always happens in summer, I found some other opportunities that I couldn't pass. Plus I had to work on my tan. Now to figure out what I need to get done before the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment