Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 Genealogy Resolutions

2010 was a great year for my genealogy. I hope that 2011 is even better for all genealogists!

Here are my 2011 genealogy resolutions:

Research Goal: Collect more original records. Included in this goal is ordering more microfilm from the Family History Library, visiting the Indiana State Library and visiting Switzerland County, Indiana. I also hope to visit Lycoming County, Pennsylvania again this year in order to improve my writing goal.

Writing Goal: Write a book about my surname line, Eiswerth. I was finally able to connect this family in Pennsylvania together and find them in Germany. This year I hope to gather the German parish registers, more tombstone photos, and other original records and publish them as a coffee table book for my family.

Scanning Goal: Scan all of the slides in my grandma's house. I knew that my grandpa had made a ton of slides, but I underestimated how many were there until I actually looked at them in December. There are 3 shelves full of slide boxes. I took home just the first shelf of 14 boxes. I'd like to turn each box into a video slide show and put them on DVD.

Education Goal: Continue National Institute for Genealogical Studies courses. I should be finishing the intermediate courses soon and then it's time for the advanced courses.

Conference Goal: Although I want to go to every genealogy conference, I will definitely be attending the Indiana Genealogical Society conference in Indianapolis on April 16 and the Federation of Genealogical Societies conference in Springfield, Illinois in September. I have decided to skip the Ohio Genealogical Society conference in Columbus, Ohio because I wasn't too excited about this year's program lineup and I think a trip to the Indiana State Library is a better use of my time and money.

Blog Goal: Write more about my ancestors and start blogging about my husband's ancestors (more on that soon). I need to get into a better routine about writing up my genealogy finds before I continue my research.

So those are my main goals for the year. I know of some other stuff that is coming up that will push me even further in my genealogy and outside of my box. (But I'm trying to ignore it as long as possible.) Hope everyone as a wonderful 2011.

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you luck with all your goals....I too share some but mostly I would just like to be more organized....I'm curious about how you can scan slides....my dad was also a slide taker and my brother is now holding boxes and boxes - not only of his but also my great aunt and uncle who travelled the world...some are exceptional pictures and to make a DVD would be awesome....share please

    And Happy New year from another blogger (Twice Upon A Time)

    Cheryl Stuart

    ReplyDelete