Sunday, April 17, 2011

2011 IGS Conference Recap

Yesterday I had a great time attending the Indiana Genealogical Society's annual conference. Diane VanSkiver Gagel was the speaker and she gave 4 great presentations. She talked about adding historical information to the records that you find on your ancestors to learn even more about their lives and to write more interesting narratives. She also discussed the roles of women in the civil war and their presence in court records. I highly recommend listening to Diane if you ever get a chance.

I also had so much fun in the ride from Fort Wayne to Indianapolis with my friend Marge, who is highly involved in our local society, the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana. We solved all of the world's genealogy problems on the trip and talked about our own research. I was able to sit next to and hang out with Amy Johnson Crow and her iPad. I was wearing my Geneabloggers pin and Diana Biddle from Adventures in Brown County Genealogy found me because of it. It's always great to meet other bloggers.

I also somehow got made Vice President of IGS. Apparently no one voted for the blank space that ran against me. This all came about in November when I wasn't working as much and was still able to make my weekly trips to ACPL. I'm researching my family and Curt Witcher sits down besides me and asks where this genealogy thing is going for me and invites me to the IGS board meeting that was taking place that weekend in Fort Wayne. And when he has convinced me to go to the board meeting, he springs on me that he thinks I would be a good Vice President. So for all of you who think Curt is such a rock star, just wait until he cons you into something.

I am excited to start getting more involved in the genealogy community and hopefully get more records for my Switzerland and Ohio counties available to others. If you have Indiana ancestors, you should really consider joining IGS. They have lots of online databases and are currently digitizing records and making them available to members. Mark your calendars for the 2012 IGS annual conference in Fort Wayne on Saturday, April 28.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful time yesterday. Congratulations on being the new vp of the IGS, I think you will be busier than ever, but think of the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful meeting you yesterday, thank you for the shout-out in your blog. Looking forward to my new assignment as IGS Brown County Genealogist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Tina - Curt Witcher knows talent when he sees it - you'll be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The truth comes out -- you only like me for my iPad :-) And Greta is right. Curt knows talent when he sees it. He wouldn't have asked you if he didn't think you could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your VP position with IGS. It will be a great learning experience for you and I'm sure you will bring a fresh voice to the IGS. (I'm not currently a member though have been in the past.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on becoming Vice President if IGS Tina!

    ReplyDelete