Monday, May 30, 2011

Donate to the War of 1812 Pension Digitization Project This Memorial Day

It's Memorial Day and to honor my ancestors who served, I made a donation to the "Preserve the Pensions" Campaign. The Federation of Genealogical Societies is raising money to digitize the War of 1812 pension files. Over 5,000 documents are already available for free at Footnote.com.

I chose to make my donation through the Indiana Genealogical Society. They are matching donations up to $10,000. Donations through IGS have surpassed $6,000 so far, which means that at least $12,000 will be donated to FGS. Their campaign runs until the end of June.

I have yet to find any War of 1812 veterans among my ancestors. But I have found a few of their siblings who served. I hope that their pension files will add to their families' stories.

Consider honoring your ancestors with a donation.

In full disclosure, I am currently the Vice President of IGS.

No comments:

Post a Comment