Saturday, June 11, 2011

Attending #SCGS11 Jamboree - Virtual Style

I couldn't make it in person to the Southern California Genealogical Society's Jamboree, but I still feel like I'm a part of it.

Yesterday, I followed along with the #scgs11 Twitter tag. I looked at the syllabus material available on the Jamboree's iPhone app. I listened to Thomas MacEntee record a live show of Geneabloggers Radio in the middle of Blogger Island.

Today I watched most of the sessions that were streamed live on the internet thanks to RootsMagic. I followed along on Twitter some more and read more syllabus material. I even took a tour of the virtual exhibit hall in the Jamboree app.

Tomorrow I'll follow along with the attendees some more and hope to see lots of blog posts about everyone's experiences at Jamboree.

I'm exhausted from a wonderful day of watching the videos and reading about what everyone at Jamboree has been up to. I'm sure it will take a while for all the bloggers to write about their experiences since they will be sure to be exhausted from all the fun they have had. The virtual attendees may have had technical problems and limited access to the syllabus material, but who can complain when it was all free?

One day I'll get to Jamboree in person. But until then I'm glad to have a taste of it right in my own home. Thanks SCGS, RootsMagic, the speakers who allowed their syllabus material or talks to be shared and all the geneabloggers!

No comments:

Post a Comment