Sunday, September 11, 2011

FGS 2011 - Day 4

Saturday was the last day of the FGS 2011 conference. The first session I attended was "The Parish" with Audrey Collins. Usually questions during sessions annoy me, but not with Audrey. The questions answered were just as good as the presentation. Maybe it was just the accent.

Next I went to "Porkopolis to Bonanza Farms: Midwest Historical Geography for Genealogists" presented by J. H. Fonkert. This session looked at lots of maps to show how agriculture, weather and technology affected how the Midwest was settled.

The sessions before and after lunch were a workshop by J. Mark Lowe entitled "Developing a Basic Research Plan." These two hours went so fast. It was nice to get some hands on work and start thinking through research plans. Of course I think that I'll use Evernote instead of Mark's index card strategy to keep my research plans organized.

During lunch, I sat at the Indiana Genealogical Society's table. Lunch on Saturday was the most traffic that the exhibit hall received except for right after it opened. All the Ancestry Day attendees were there and it was a good time to be manning the table.

I skipped the last two sessions and when the exhibit hall closed we headed back to Fort Wayne. I made sure to thank Paula Stuart-Warren and Josh Taylor on my way out for an awesome conference. Paula's already thinking of ways to put me to work for the FGS 2013 conference in Fort Wayne.


No comments:

Post a Comment