Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Chipping at Brick Wall - Apolonia Kavcic Passenger List

I've been looking over some of my brick walls in order to write some blog posts. Originally I thought I could just write up where I am stuck and hope that someone searching the internet would have an answer for me some day. But then I started chipping away at them and have made progress on my own.

The last few nights I have been searching for the KAVCIC family on passenger lists. I know they were in the United States by the time their son Charles was born in September 1894. I also know that they were still in Austria when daughter, Helena was born in 1891. Last night I searched the Philadelphia passenger lists on Ancestry and finally found them!

Well actually I only found one of them, but it was still progress.

Apolonia Kavcic (indexed as Apolenia Kaveic) left Antwerp, Belgium on 29 November 1893 aboard the S. S. Pennsylvania. She arrived in Philadelphia on 15 December 1893. Her husband paid her fare and was living in East Palestine, Ohio. [Or at least near it since I find the family living in Darlington Township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania in 1900 and 1910. Just over the state border.]

Her last residence was Sairachberg. It was Austria, but is now Slovenia.

So now I have to go back and try to find the passenger lists for her husband, Enos Kavcic, and their daughters Mary and Helena. Enos states on his naturalization papers that he arrived in the United States in June of 1892. But of course I haven't been able to find him yet. The girls aren't listed in the 1900 census with the family, so they might have immigrated between 1900 and their marriages in 1907 and 1909.

At least I have some more clues now. I also need to contact the church in East Palestine and see what records they have on the family.

Interesting note: Apolonia arrived on 15 December 1893. Her first child born in the US, Charles, was born on 6 September 1894. I guess Apolonia and Enos missed each other while they lived apart.

3 comments:

  1. Tina, my dad was born in East Palestine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, how about Janos Kavulzis, age 36, a joiner, bound for OH, arrived 28 June 1892 aboard the Saale (p. 17)? Janos/Enos? Maybe?

    http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=7488&iid=NYM237_592-0121&fn=Janos&ln=Kavulzis&st=r&ssrc=&pid=4036686596

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if the above is not Enos, I think we've found the girls. Marija (11) & Helena (10) Kaveic, aboard the SS La Touraine, Dec. 14, 1902 from Havre to NY. Destination is East Palestine, OH. Notation "join their father"

    http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=7488&iid=NYT715_313-0057&fn=Helena&ln=Kaveic&st=r&ssrc=&pid=4001760339

    ReplyDelete