This week I went through all the people in my database without surnames. I also started adding source details for family histories that I used. Here's what happened:
I found the maiden names of 7 women in the following sources:
- Burial record with parents' names.
- Obituary citation on Find-a-Grave that led me to newspaper images on Ancestry.
- Texas marriage index.
- Published Massachusetts vital records.
- Marriage record already cited in database, but never recorded her maiden name.
- Ohio marriage record.
- Bible record that was again already citing the marriage but I never recorded the name.
- Found divorce index for my great grandfather and his second wife.
- Deleted one woman because I'm not sure if the will I have for her husband is actually for the right guy. Too many men with the same now in the area.
- Deleted 29 names and my Mayflower connection when I realized that the "proof" in the family history was an old lady remembering a name in a book her grandmother had. I guess it's good that I found out before Thanksgiving.