I've started a project cleaning up my database.
Whenever I finish a letter of the alphabet, I'll write a blog post to
report about what I learned about the surnames that start with that
I'm moving right along with this organization project. I only have 2 main families in the Cs, so I was able to get through them quickly. Plus I had already done a lot of work on the Cleveland family when I entered the source details from the family history where I initially found most of the information on that line.
Here are some highlights from the C surname cleanup:
Still can't find Charles Caldwell in the 1830 and 1840 censuses. But I did find his wife, Rachel Washburn, living with possibly her husband's family in the 1870 and 1880 censuses. I had already found her in 1850. In 1870, she was listed as blind. I was also able to find her in the Athens County (Ohio) Home from 1876-1877 thanks to Julie's Genealogy website that includes an index to the records from the home.
Laura Cleveland and William Tubbs were in Athens County, Ohio in 1840 and 1860. Finally found them in 1850 in Illinois by searching for their daughters.
Deleted Henry Bruner from my tree because he never actually married Emeline Dunning. They got a license, but no marriage. I still don't have the original record for this license, but it goes to show which index you use can make a difference in your assumptions. The first index I used just named the parties and date of marriage, but the second one had notations when the marriage return was not found.
Found the marriages of Ruth Brown to James Ward and Elizabeth Brown to Jesse Russell in Brunswick Maine. I was able to trace my Brown family thanks to Sons of the American Revolution applications.
You might notice that half of the C clean up is actually Bs. That's because I make a notation in Evernote of items I need to find on my next trip to the Allen County Public Library. So even though I was done going through the Bs in my database, I still had some research to do.