Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cleaning Up The Letter F

I've started a project cleaning up my database. Whenever I finish a letter of the alphabet, I'll write a blog post to report about what I learned about the surnames that start with that letter.

Only took me a week to get through the letter F. Here's what I found:
  • I had lost Thomas Farrell and his wife Alice Maud McCormick in Canada. So I looked for the in the United States. And guess what? I found them in Detroit. The immigrated in the 1880s and Thomas died in 1895 so I had to use birth and marriage records for their children to confirm that I had the correct family.
  • I had previously learned from a distant cousin that Mary Bank had married a man with the surname Felix. But I never learned his first name. I searched the 1900 census for a Mary Felix and found one with the correct age living in Williamsport, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania. I went back again to the St. Boniface church records and found the burial record of Mary Bank Felix. So I was able to track Mary and her husband, Henry, to their deaths.
6 letters down. Only 20 more to go! Should be able to finish the letter G by the end of the week since I have no direct surnames in my family tree that start with G.
Other letter cleanups:

No comments:

Post a Comment