Sunday, February 26, 2012

Cleaning Up The Letter G

I've started a project cleaning up my database. Whenever I finish a letter of the alphabet, I'll write a blog post to report about what I learned about the surnames that start with that letter.

This week I made it through all the G surnames in my genealogy database. Here's what I learned:
  • Found death date of Alexander Hamilton Fish in Randolph County, Illinois on 21 September 1879. Information also included his place of birth in Warren County, New York. I was unable to find any more information about his wife Abigail Morse. [I know, not the letter G. But this was found at the library this week.]
  • Found George Griffith and Magaret Morse in the 1900 census. They had moved to Indiana. Then I lost them again.
  • From a family history, I had learned that Buchanan Elbridge Washburn had been killed in a railroad accident in 1884 in Denison, Texas. He had married Deborah Elizabeth Grove in 1879 in Gallia County, Ohio. I had never found them in the census, but I received an Shaky Leaf and found them in 1880 in Densison. Then I found the second marriage of Deborah to Alexander Campbell on FamilySearch and was able to track her to 1900. Then I tracked Alexander to his death in 1923. 
Next up is the letter H. It will take a few weeks to get through the Haefner, Heinrich and Hillis families along with all the collateral lines. 19 more letters!


Other letter cleanups:

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea. I have been in a spring cleaning mood myself and this is a great way to do it! I may have to go in reverse order or the A's might overwhelm me.

    ReplyDelete