Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cleaning Up The Letter R

I've started a project cleaning up my database. Whenever I finish a letter of the alphabet, I'll write a blog post to report about what I learned about the surnames that start with that letter.

After a batch of boring letter cleanups, the letter R was hiding some interesting goodies. 

Once again, I had to remember that lost Canadian ancestors might have crossed the border (not just my great grandparents). 
  • Edgar D Rogers lived in Burlington, Buffalo, and Elmira, New York. He was a hat and glove merchant. He died on 18 Oct 1911 in Elmira.
  • Edgar's obituary led me to his sister, Euretta Rogers Field, in Buffalo, New York. I had her death registration in Lincoln County, Ontario in 1921, but I couldn't find her in the 1901 and 1911 Canadian censuses. That's because after he husband's death, she moved to New York with her 2 daughters. I found them in the 1900 and 1910 censuses, but not the 1920 census. So she probably returned to Ontario in the 1910s.
  • Edgar's obituary also told me that his sister Elizabeth was unmarried and living in Canada at the time of his death. I found her death on 1 Jul 1913 in Toronto, Ontario. I still can't find her in the Canadian censuses (or US).
  • Using FamilySearch, I was able to find the death registration of another Rogers sibling. Mary Ann Rogers Miller died in 1878. I went back to Ancestry to find the image and found her mistranscribed at Mitter.
 And if all the Rogers family findings were not enough, I also was able to find the marriage of George Michael Eiswerth and Esther Anna Russell on 1 Oct 1919 in Batavia, Genesse County, New York. I'm not sure why I never looked for George in Genesse County since that was where he registered for the WWI draft. I was then able to find them in the 1920 census. Esther died in 1926 and I lose George until his WWII draft registration back in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

Good thing the letter R re-energized my organization because I'm going to need it for all the letter S surnames in my database.

No comments:

Post a Comment