Monday, April 2, 2012

Preparing to Wait for the 1940 Census Index

I just finished watching the 1940 Census Opening Ceremony and now I am ready to find my ancestors...after its indexed.

My friend, Marge, will tell you that I want all records online, indexed and free. Don't we all? Of course I want access to all records, but they don't have to be online. If I can view them at the Allen County Public Library, I would be happy. Plus if they were all online, I'd stay home and never see any of my geneafriends. I'd love to have everything indexed, but I'm willing to make my own index. And I might wish everything to be free, but I know that it costs money to host all the images I want, so I'm willing to pay (a reasonable price).

I'm looking forward to finding my ancestors in the 1940 census. My paternal grandfather wasn't in the 1930 census with his parents, probably due to a miscommunication. And my maternal grandfather's family has left Kalamazoo, Michigan by 1934 and they don't show up in Cincinnati, Ohio until 1940. So I'm looking forward to finding out where they said they were in 1935. Plus I can't wait to find all the great aunts and uncles that I've lost in my research.

Since I know that the 1940 census index should be done by the end of the year, I'm not in a hurry find my ancestors. I know they will still be there waiting for me and I'll have spent my time more wisely by working on other projects.

Although I'm in no hurry to search the census, I have prepared for the 1940 census. I spent some time in the last month searching the city directories to find the addresses for my ancestors in 1940. But then I asked myself, "Why stop at 1940?" So now I am ready for the 1950, 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000, and 2010 censuses.

I will be helping to index the 1940 census as part of the 1940 Census Community Project. Watch the online videos and find out how you can help to index as well. Then make sure you choose the Indiana Genealogical Society as your group (because I'm group administrator for IGS).

So while everyone else is finding enumeration districts and searching the 1940 census page by page, I'll be working on my other 2012 goals and indexing as part of the Indiana Genealogical Society's group.

1 comment:

  1. To each his own, I guess. My parents are both 83, so it was important to me to find them TODAY. And I did.

    ReplyDelete