Monday, May 7, 2012

Cleaning Up The Letter S

I've started a project cleaning up my database. Whenever I finish a letter of the alphabet, I'll write a blog post to report about what I learned about the surnames that start with that letter.

I didn't think I would finish the letter S before heading to NGS this week, but somehow I did. The list of S surnames in my database was the longest and it held a few hidden gems.
  • Found Johann Diabold Schilling and wife Maria Kym in the 1850 US census. The census lists Susquehanna Township, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania as their residence, but I think there was a boundary problem with the census. I have found many of my Limestone Township relatives in the 1850 Susquehanna Township pages.
  • Found a photo of Leslie Merritt Stull on his naturalization papers...that I entered into my genealogy database 2 years ago. Not sure how I missed that one.
  • Found William Stull living in Halton County, Ontario where his wife had received a land patent. Crazy.
  • Found Peter Lampman Stull in California in 1870 and Denver, Colorado in 1880. He's another one of my Canadians that immigrated.
  • Found John Franklin Swoyer and wife Sarah Ann Eck in records for the Kelchner Funeral Home in Jersey Shore, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania. Now I just need to find a transcription of that cemetery to see if Franklin's brother was also buried there.
I'm taking a break from cleaning up my genealogy database to spend time learning and hanging out with my friends at the NGS conference. I don't have many surnames that begin with T, U or V, so I'll be starting the Ws by then end of the month. Hopefully this cleanup will be done by the end of June.

No comments:

Post a Comment