John Anthony Swoyer (or Zweyer or Zweier) was born 17 April 1790 in Berks County, Pennsylvania. He was the son of Stephan Zweier and Anna Maria Stahl. He married Elizabeth Arnold in April 1819. Elizabeth was born 25 January 1798 in Pennsylvania to Herman Arnold and Catharina Allwein of Lebanon, Pennsylvania.
Anthony and Elizabeth lived in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania before moving to Limestone Township, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania in the 1840s.
Anthony died on 23 December 1858 and Elizabeth died on 1 February 1863. They were both buried in Immaculate Conception Cemetery in Bastress, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania.
John Anthony Swoyer and Elizabeth Arnold had 8 children:
- Margaret Swoyer (1823-1906) married Joel Eck (1822-1902).
- Joseph Swoyer (1826-1910) married Margarita Glutzembecker (1831-1907).
- Lucetta Swoyer (1830-1905) married William Eck (1823-1900).
- George Swoyer (1822-?) married Catharine Klotzenbieger (abt 1831-?).
- Samuel Swoyer (1836-?) married Catharine A Greth (1832-1909).
- William H Swoyer (1838-1864) died from a wound received at the Battle of the Wilderness during the Civil War.
- Catharine A Swoyer (1840-1827) married 1st Joseph Jeremiah Eck (1827-1883). She married 2nd John Edward Allwein (1828-1909).
- Franklin Swoyer (1843-1928) married Sarah Anna Eck (1847-1927).