Joseph Eck was born 4 March 1797 in Berks County, Pennsylvania. He was the son of Joseph Eck and Mary Agatha Riffel. Joseph married Maria Bauer on 9 January 1816 in Berks County, Pennsylvania. She was born circa 1794 in Berks County to Peter Bauer and Rosina Schnabel.
Joseph and Mary lived in Berks County before moving to Limestone Township, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania in the late 1830s.
Mary died 1 May 1848 and was buried in Immaculate Conception Cemetery in Bastress, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania. Joseph died 27 November 1856. He was probably buried at Immaculate Conception Cemetery, but his gravestone no longer exists.
Joseph Eck and Mary Bauer had 14 children:
- Mary Anna Eck (1816-1891) married Peter Felix (1816-1885).
- Reuben Eck (1817-1884) married Mary Reichard (1818-1870).
- Samuel Eck (abt 1819-1877) married Susanna Faust (1825-?).
- Nathan Eck (1820-1894) married Margaret Swoyer (1825-1900), daughter of Joseph Swoyer.
- Joel Eck (1822-1902) married Margaret Swoyer (1820-1906), daughter of John Anthony Swoyer.
- William Eck (1823-1900) married Lucetta Swoyer (1830-1905), daughter of John Anthony Swoyer.
- James Eck (1824-1897) married Mary Ann Swoyer (1828-1910), daughter of Joseph Swoyer.
- Augustus Eck (1826-1906) married Francisca Maria Dougherty (1834-1898).
- Joseph Jeremiah Eck (1827-1883) married Catharine Swoyer (1840-1902), daughter of John Anthony Swoyer.
- Leah Eck (1829-1902) married Cyrus Swoyer (1823-1904), son of Joseph Swoyer.
- Susannah Eck (1831-1850).
- Lorenzo Eck (1832-1901) married Ellen Monaghan (abt 1836-?).
- Jonas Eck (1834-?).
- Caroline Eck (1836-1854).